Tuesday, September 6, 2011

I Knew It

I had always known that man was mad; by the way he acted and talked. My boys made fun of him and simulated his every action. I tried to stop them because it really got me on my nerves.
           
It’s been a couple of days since I heard the electrifying shriek from the house next door. It came from the mad man’s mansion; he was the old man’s caretaker. Clad in my heavy nightgown, I got up from my bed. It had been a cold night but for some reason I was dehydrated
           
It was dark, as I gingerly went down stairs to the kitchen for a glass of water.  I turned on the kitchen lights and looked at the small window located above the sink. I made a cursory study of the neighbor’s wooden house, which had always given me a creep. Not the house itself, but the young mad man who worked there. I had always seen something strange on him; perhaps the way he looked at the old man, I could see he always made a face of disgust. I felt myself grimace as I watched the pitch-black house with no sign of life or emotion.
           
I took a glass of water from the top cabinet and filled it with some ice. I opened the refrigerator to pour some cold water in the glass. I made a quick inventory of the things left in the refrigerator and noticed I needed to go to the market and get more food. I drank all the water and washed the glass carefully, placing it inside the cabinet. I looked around and turned the kitchen’s lights off.
           
It was dark again, as I made my way upstairs checking my boys’ peaceful sleep. As I crawled up my bed, I heard the abrasive sound. The gruesome shriek, it had to be from the old man! I surmised that the mad man had done something and the poor old man, with that glassy eye, had had to succumb.  I had to call the police!
           
A man with a low voice answered at the station. I was able to corroborate the situation, since I had been extremely aware of what had happened. I gave the man the address and he said that three officers would endeavor to come at that early hour. The only thing I could do was wait.
           
Days later, I derived from Mrs. Manson that the mad man had killed the old man. I had known it from the start.    

2 comments:

  1. I liked that in your story you say that from the beginning the neighbor knew the mad man was going to do something to the old man and it finally was true. Good job!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story!! I really liked it!!
    The best part was the ending!! :P

    ReplyDelete