Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Where I'm From


I am from rag dolls, princesses and teddy bears,
From Fruit Loops and boxed Cracker Jacks.
I am from unmatched, dirty socks sliding on slippery marbled floors.
I am from shiny black curls turning to straight dark hair.
And from disguising with costumes for dancing to the melody of the piano notes.
I am from sunny trips to the beach, and to Disney World,
(Where all your dreams were supposed to come true).

I am from the little, red flowers,
which I used to make necklaces;
and loud dog barks.
From wind hitting my face while playing outside.  
The charming cherry tree in Grandma’s backyard 
Whose cherries I collected and ate
Whenever I could.

I am from family dinners, talks and wise advice,
from dark hair and intelligence.
From Laurencio and Sandra
And Jaen-Dominguez;
From Mom’s reprimands and tight, loving hugs.
I am from the strong shouting across the house,
and memorable smiles and laughter between siblings.
From Don’t bite your nails! Stop goofing around!
And Continue trying!         
I am from Our Father and Holy Mary prayers
Before going to sleep every night,
From Angel de la Guardia 
and First Communion.

I’m from the proud, independent Panamanian Isthmus.
From lactose-free milk and freshly baked bread.
From the Alzheimer digging into my Grandfather-
So much information lost-
And the weird gentleness of my father towards it.
    
I am from moments captured in a million photographs,
From ballet presentation snaps
To family trips and vacations
Neatly placed and saved digitally and in photo albums.
I’m from my family memories and pictures
That will never change
Even if
-in some way-
we all do.

3 comments:

  1. Isabelitaa its amazing your poem i loved it!
    I like how you star with things from little and know older
    me encanto! loveu Marygabs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good and easily understandable. By reading this poem I easily get an image of how your life at home and around family is. I also noticed that you didn't directly say where you were from but you gave us a characteristic... Isthmus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very good, you used the template to perfection and what you added wasn't totally out of topic. Also you really show how your day-to-day life is, exactly what you're suppose to show. The imagery hits well and you never stray off topic

    ReplyDelete